Sunday 5 January 2014

'So I said, "CHANEL NO. 5"'


This being my first ever blog post, I thought that I’d start off by talking about two of my favourite things: Marilyn Monroe and perfume.


I have just watched the Chanel No. 5 mini film advert starring Marilyn Monroe for the millionth time. If this doesn’t persuade any woman in the world to invest in the scent, then I don’t know what else would. I love perfume and I have collected many bottles over the years and insist on saving them once empty, much to my mum’s dismay! I am currently using Marc Jacobs’ Honey Bee as my day scent and Jimmy Choo’s Flash as my evening scent. However, for Christmas, I was lucky enough to receive a gift set of Chanel COCO Mademoiselle perfume, which I am absolutely in love with; the delicate floral smell combined with the distinctive COCO Chanel scent is a perfect combination and I am definitely not going to be spritzing this one on a daily basis- my mission is to keep it for special occasions only so as not to waste it and so that it can continue to look pretty on my dressing table! I have to admit though, as shallow as this sounds, that the thing that sold me the perfume was it’s advert rather than its scent, though as soon as I got a whiff of it I fell in love all over again! The advert, like the Chanel No.5 one made me not want, but NEED the perfume- the hot models (one of them being the beautiful Keira Knightley); the scenic views of Paris; the empowerment of women and the seductive, classy chemistry being portrayed in front of the camera, as well as the pretty bottle all contributed to my need to have this perfume in my life. This only goes to show the influence that an advert can have on a person’s materialistic desires, hence why Chanel has been extremely clever in using the legendary Marilyn Monroe in their advert for Chanel NO.5.


Marilyn Monroe is an icon. No one can deny her status as a Hollywood legend. The fact that she has been chosen to represent Chanel No.5 over fifty years after her death just proves that her fame and spirit is still alive in the modern world. I’ve loved Marilyn for as long as I can remember, even before I started watching her in films. Her natural beauty, curvaceous figure and flirtatious personality are attributes that I, along with the majority of women on the planet wish we had for ourselves. Looks and personality aside, Marilyn also stands as a figure of professionalism and proved that women are just as able and talented as men. Yes, many of Marilyn’s roles were sexy and arguably ‘dumbed down’, but when you think about the darker side of her personal life, and the amount of times she must have had to have turned on that million dollar smile and sexy attitude for the cameras, well, I think that just proves her incredible acting skills. Marilyn was a charm for the cameras and knew her craft inside out, despite suffering from cripplingly low self-confidence. It’s no secret that Marilyn wasn’t happy and satisfied in her personal life, but the fact that this was public knowledge due to the media, not only enforced her ability as an actress, but portrayed her as a human being, something that I find hard to find many celebrities on nowadays.

You will probably find that I use many of Marilyn’s quotes throughout my blog, so I’ll end this post with one of my favourites and one that I think everybody should live by: “Keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling because life is a beautiful thing and there is so much to smile about.”

HAPPY NEW YEAR! MAKE 2014 A GOOD ONE J

No comments:

Post a Comment