Wednesday 22 January 2014

'The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing!'


I’m not going to lie; I am the world’s GREATEST procrastinator. I am the queen of procrastination. Yesterday, for example, when I was meant to be getting on with an essay, I decided that it was a good time to book tickets to see Jack Whitehall, baring in mind that my deadline is today. However, I can now happily say that I have finished the essay AND handed it in!

I have decided that this next semester will be a fresh start. I WILL attend all lectures and I WILL MOST DEFINITELY NOT be leaving all work until the week that it’s due in. We shall see how long this lasts for.

So, basically these last two weeks have been so busy! Here is a rough breakdown of what it actually is that I have been doing with myself for not just these past couple of weeks, but my entire educational life:






As you can see, a massive 65% of my time is taken up by procrastination. This is not good. The fact that being distracted and eating and drinking dominates over my education is WRONG on so many levels. I get distracted by absolutely anything from what I can hear going on in my flat’s kitchen to the hideous carpet in my room. Not that I’m condoning any of the following, but here are the top 10 things I do to procrastinate:

    1.) Look at my phone- eg. Twitter, Facebook, texting.
    2.) Catch up on cheesy soaps such as Neighbours and Home and Away.
    3.) Decide that my notice board needs more pictures/decoration.
    4.)Go and see what is going on in my flat’s kitchen.
    5.) Go and make food/ get a drink.
    6.)Look at pictures/videos of sloths.
    7.) Watch random YouTube videos/music videos.
    8.) Go and find someone inside/outside of my flat to annoy with the phrase ‘I’ve got so much work to do.’ (Yet I could well be doing it right then, but am making the choice not to!)
    9.) Decide that now is a good time to ring round my family and friends at home and have hour-long conversations.
   10.) Make plans for future outings/events.

As much as I wish that I could get away with my usual excuse of ‘the closer to the deadline, the better I work, the better my grades,’ I really don’t think that this cuts it for university level essays. So, in an attempt to get my act together, here are the top 5 things that inspire me to get motivated and get work done, (yes, I know- a lot less than the procrastination list, but I will update this!):

1.) Turn off everything breathing distraction around you- especially your phone. I end up texting my friends moaning that I have so much to do when I could be doing it. The Walt Disney quote that I used for the title of this post is VERY true.
2.) Think how proud your family will be of you once you get your qualifications/dream job/whatever- I know it sounds cheesy, but it does work. My grandma is always saying how she wants a photo of me in a cap and gown, so that always reminds me that to get to that point, I do need to work hard!
3.) Buy something new that you really want- this sounds like something you should do AFTER you’ve done the work, but last week I went to Miss Selfridge and brought a new, pink Boyfriend jacket that I’d wanted for ages, and somehow it inspired me to pull an all nighter that night and get a load of work done!
4.) Make sure that you have nice food and drink in- work breaks mean good food and drink and by this, I mean junk such as sweets, chocolate, biscuits, cake, fizzy drinks, milkshakes etc.
5.) Read inspiring quotes- I love reading quotes and they always make me think about things in a different way!

Procrastination is one of my favourite topics and a skill that I have naturally acquired. However, the funny thing is that once I actually get down to doing some work, I do get into doing it- (I wouldn’t go as far as enjoying writing the essays though!) So, my late New Year’s resolution is to stop procrastinating so much, stop leaving work until the last minute, stop being so lazy and get motivated!

No comments:

Post a Comment